Re: Why is my machine sudenly trying to do dhcp?

On Mon Oct  8 11:46:37 2001 Raghavendra Bhat wrote...

>[Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 10:41:11AM -0400] Stan Brown :
>
>> Now the machine tries to do dhcp! Which I don't wnat.
>>
>> Where can I turn this off?
>
>Either  do  a 'dpkg  --purge  dhcp/dhcp-client/dhcpcd'  or better  still
>remove instances  of the  dhcp symlink from  all run-levels by  doing an
>'update-rc.d -f dhcp remove'.

Hmm, I did that, and as son as I set the executable bit on
/etc/dhclient-script, and rebooted, it grabed dynamic address again.

I'm poking around in /etc/init.d/dhcp-clinet, and I'm puzzled by this line:

# If /etc/network/interfaces exists, and there is a line that contains
#	something like "iface lec0 inet dhcp" then we should not be
#	doing anything here.
if [ -f /etc/network/interfaces ]; then
	grep -q '^iface.*dhcp' /etc/network/interfaces && exit 0
fi

This seems backwards to me. But I checked it on 2 differnt systems.

What am I missing here?

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC.