Re: My modem..argggg

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 01:37:09PM +0200, Petre Daniel wrote:
> Ok.I can't recompile the kernel,seems like some package are missing,asm,..
> I got some little ppp tutorials from the net and read them quickly and set up the /etc/ppp main files.
> Btw,pppconfig still can't find anything on the ttyS*,and wvdial says i/o error..
> Well,i started pppd after i configured those /etc/ppp files and watched the logs.
> Seems like everything is ok,but the modem ain't responding,like
> ppp started by root,then exited..

Probably the first step is to find out what kind of modem you have and
make sure it's not a winmodem.  If you have a real hardware modem
pppconfig probably would have detected it.  If you have a winmodem there
are "linmodem" drivers for some of them, and with others you are out of
luck. One good way to check out your modem is open the case, get the
"FCC number" etched into the card, and then go to
http://www.grapevine.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

If you have an ISA modem, many of them are PNP (plug and play).  The
package isapnptools has a program "pnpdump" which will tell you info
about your isa devices, including modems.  If your modem is really old
(like more than 5 years old) it might not be PNP, in which case the
above wouldn't work.

If you have a PCI modem, then "lspci -v" should show some info on it.

If this machine also runs windows, can you go into the modems section of
the control panel and verify which com port your modem is on?
com1=ttyS0, com2=ttyS1, etc.  If you have a hardware modem, and
pppconfig doesn't detect it, you can tell it what port to use.

If you know you have a hardware modem you might want to start with
"minicom" (apt-get install minicom).  This is a terminal program which
will dial your modem, etc.  First time, run as root and use "minicom
-s".  You can use ATDT<number> to dial your ISP, and then interactively
give it your ID and password.  If you can do that much, your modem is
fine, and you have a ppp configuration problem.

Good luck.

--

Thank you,
Joe Bouchard