Best way to install up-to-date PostgreSQL?

Hi all,

Apologies if this is too close to similar queries.

I would like to install PostgreSQL 7.x on potato, but it's not available
until woody.

I've thought about several options:

- upgrade to woody
- install the woody package on potato
- compile from the woody source package on potato and install that
- ignore debian and compile from original source, and install in
/usr/local

Any comments on these?
Are there others I've missed?

I'm reluctant to upgrade to woody, as stability of this box is quite
important - it will be inaccessible (physically) most of the time
(telehoused). Or is this an unnecessary worry?

I gather that installing binary debs across releases is dangerous, but
that installing from source is OK?

I guess installing in /usr/local should be safe enough, but I might have
problems with other things that depend on it. But will I have problems
anyway with potato packages depending on 6.x and finding 7.x?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard