no shell, unable to cd to /home/*

Hello -
I upgraded potato to Debian testing (2.4.9, XFree 4.1.0-6, old /dev
structure) a few days ago, everything worked fine. Now I can no longer log in
as a user but only as root.

Login from the console gives me "Unable to cd to /home/avh", (avh is my user
id) - it's the same with another user account. Therefore X aborts when I
enter a user login in kdm.

su <user> from a console as root gives me a message "No shell".

The root account works flawlessly. Home directories are there, can be
browsed, permissions are set correctly.

I deleted users and recreated them, to no avail. Deleted passwords, recreated
them - likewise. Reinstalled packages login, file-utils, shell-utils, the X
combo, nothing.

Two further details are puzzeling me: earlier today I accidentally renamed
/etc/X11 to /etc/sane then using a Norton Commander like file manager because
I entered "sane" into a box called up with F2 (rename) instead of F3
(search). But I realized this later when I could not start X andy more,
changed the name back and X worked again. I guess this is not related. - Or
have I been cracked through my wonderful cable modem despite running an
ipchains firewall? When I recreated another user to my surprise when I
checked the new home directories' permissions I saw that "telnetd" was the
owner, "users" the group. But maybe I just was a bit quick with a graphical
pulldown menu in the user damin program.

However, whether I have been stupid, and/or have encountered a bug and/or
have been cracked - any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Andreas von Heydwolff
Vienna, Austria