Re: Assembler -to- Binary vs. C -to- Binary

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001 22:57:16 +0530, <shyamk@eth.net> wrote:

> I compiled the same set of instructions :
> 1. Using C
> 2. Using Assembly
> into Binary .
>
> I issued the  file  command  to show the type of the resulting files
> (assembler -
> binary and C - Binary )
>
> Both showed different results :
> 1. sangharsh.cexe :  ELF 32-bit LSB Executable , Intel 80386 , version 1
> ,
> dynamically linked (uses shared libs) , stripped

  This is an executable program.

> 2.sangharsh.assexe : ELF 32-bit  LSB re-locatable , Intel 80386 version1
> , not
> stripped.

  This is a relocatable object file (same as you would get compiling a
  C function like "gcc -c --shared foo.c")

> I can not run 2 ie : the binary I made out of the assembler code (OK
> chmod +x
> filename was done) .They say that they can not execute the binary !
>

> Could somebody please explain what all this means ?

This question is more appropriate on one of the comp.* newsgroups.  And you
probably want to give more info on how and what you compiled.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>