Re: NIS/NFS alternatives?

hi ya...

for more secure rpc... secure portmapper etc.. ( bottom of link )
	http://www.linux-sec.net/Harden/services.gwif.html

for allowng users to log into any pc and get work done..
	- requires a home server that is gonna stay up most of the time
	-
	- you'd need to either pass the passwd/shadow files around
	( my preference to pass files around ) or use nis ( not mypreference )

if you are worried about security....
	- what are you paranoid about???
	- login authentication -- gazilion ways ...
	- disable dhcp and use all ip# defined by the "mask"
	- data loss ???? --  do backups
	- people breaking into your servers
	 ( 80-90% most attacks are inside your lan )
	- server too vulnerable ???
	  apply patches, implement a tighter security policy
	- [h/cr]ackers raising havoc with your servers
	( fun/annoying stuff to try to defend )
	- wanna know when somebody broek into your boxes
		- implement ids's
	- wanna know who/how they got int...
		- implemnent a "good" foresnsics plan
	- wanna know why they got in..