Re: nVidia kernel driver fails to initialize

* nebrich@u.washington.edu (nebrich@u.washington.edu) [011005 12:23]:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently tried to get the 3d accelerated nVidia driver running on
> my Debian Woody system. I have the latest Woody system installed fresh
> on my Pentium II 400. I have a TNT2 M64 video card by SIIG Inc. with
> 32 MB of SDRAM. I am running kernel 2.4.9. I installed the latest
> nVidia drivers (1541) using the Debian installer packages. The video
> card worked fine with the stock 'nv' driver that came with XFree86 4.

FWIW, I have been successfully using the debian pacakged versions with
my riva for a long time. I'd only resort to the non-deb versions if you
absolutely can't get the debs to work -- the debs use the same download
and build process but then wrap everything nicely in a .deb for easy
upgrade/removal later.

> With the nVidia driver, however, X tried to load, flashes some dark
> blue colors on the screen, then quits with the error: (EE) NVIDIA(0):
> Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!

you did build and install the nvidia-kernel driver, yes? is it getting
loaded? what does lsmod show?

> I have included the output of my X server below. Any ideas what may be
> causing this? I did read in the troubleshooting section of nVidia's
> README.txt file for the Linux drivers that TNT cards may need the
> memory type (SDRAM) specified in the source code for the kernel nVidia
> driver. Might this be the problem?

I didn't need any special settings in the sources, but I am working
with a custom-compiled kernel without framebuffer support.

vineet@gobo ~ % env COLUMNS=132 dpkg -l nvidia\* | grep ii | cut -b 0-50
ii  nvidia-glx                  1.0.1541-1
ii  nvidia-glx-src              1.0.1541-1
ii  nvidia-kernel-2.4.10        1.0.1541-1
ii  nvidia-kernel-2.4.7usb      1.0.1251-2
ii  nvidia-kernel-2.4.9         1.0.1541-1
ii  nvidia-kernel-src           1.0.1541-1

good times,

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.