Apache Out of Memory

I am running an Apache Webserver (1.3.9-14) for our department on a mostly potato system.

The largest demand on the server comes from a web-based homework system which uses a cgi interface. We have 600 students using the system
(dual 550MHz Pentium III with 256M RAM)

Two days ago, I received a message from the Apache Error Logs that said:
[Wed Oct 3 20:10:55 2001] [error] server reached MaxClients setting, consider raising the MaxClients setting

so I raised the limits from 250 to 512 (the compiled max).

QUESTION 1: How can one determine the number of active clients at a given time? I would like to monitor this.

The next night with the increased MaxClients setting, the CPU load suddenly shot to 50, effectively closing off most services. The load went from 1 to 50 and back down in the space of approximately 30 minutes, and while the load was very high, the Apache error logs kept posting "Out of Memory Messages"

My guess is that this was a real memory allocation problem (i.e. kernel based). I have only seen such loads about a year ago when we had random VM problems, but since I compiled a 2.2.19 kernel, virtual memory has been rock solid.

QUESTION 2: Could the cgi scripts be responsible for this? I am guessing this is the case, but I have no idea how to gather evidence. They are in use at many institutions, so things are not so clear. Any ideas on how to track the source of this problem down would be appreciated.

Thanks

TRS

--
Thomas R. Shemanske
(Mailing Address)                  (Office/Internet Information)

Directions:  http://www.math.dartmouth.edu/~trs/choatehouse.html
Office hours:  http://www.math.dartmouth.edu/~trs/frontmatter/office.html

Fall Term Office Hours:  M,F 3 - 4:30, W 8:30 - 10.