Re: nVidia kernel driver fails to initialize

On Fri, 2001-10-05 at 21:22, nebrich@u.washington.edu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently tried to get the 3d accelerated nVidia driver running on my Debian Woody system. I have the latest Woody system installed fresh on my Pentium II 400. I have a TNT2 M64 video card by SIIG Inc. with 32 MB of SDRAM. I am running kernel 2.4.9. I installed the latest nVidia drivers (1541) using the Debian installer packages. The video card worked fine with the stock 'nv' driver that came with XFree86 4.
maybe you should alternatively to use the tarballs from nVidia and use
their make install

> With the nVidia driver, however, X tried to load, flashes some dark blue colors on the screen, then quits with the error:
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
regarding the log, it may be possible that you have not set a correct
colour depth. please try 16bits; but i dunno if it is the error, cos the
error message is not more specific.

> I have included the output of my X server below. Any ideas what may be causing this? I did read in the troubleshooting section of nVidia's README.txt file for the Linux drivers that TNT cards may need the memory type (SDRAM) specified in the source code for the kernel nVidia driver. Might this be the problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben
hope that helped, once i had the same message, but do not remember the
problem; too long ago :-)

Timo

> [...]

p.s. dunno if it only hits me, but please check the settings of your
mailer, it uses loooooooooooong lines. plz set it to <80 chars in width,
thx.