Re: ping works not on all sites

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 11:23:53AM +0200 or thereabouts, Timo Blazko Boewing wrote:
> I have a strange problem: I am using german DSL (T-DSL) and can reach
> almost all sites. However, some sites cannot really be contacted from my
> station. DNS resolve works, cos I get the IP from that site when pinging
> as well as the real hostname of a destination machine.

I had the same problem until I realized it might be ecn related.  If
you are running kernel 2.4.x, then do:

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

and see if it shows '1'.  If so, do:

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

and see if it works.  Interestingly enough, one of the sites was
www.sun.com that couldn't handle ecn.

Jamie Strandboge

--
GPG/PGP Info