Re: [OT] Re: LAPTOPS AND TWO DIFFERENT WORKPLACES (OT)

Gary Hennigan wrote:

youto_22554@yahoo.com writes:

 The system administrator at work is a subcontract
employee.  He is also the administrator at his
company.  The company that I work for also has
employe's from his company working here and they
travel back and forth between companies and use their
M$ laptops at both sites.  Here is the problem.. both
sites use M$ and my company  has the DHCP set and the
other company doesn't, so when these people go to
their company they have to go and set the nic card up.
 He asked me if I knew of a way to do this and I have
searched the web and came up dry... I think that a lot
of the people that are on this list are also very
knowledgable about M$ also.  Is there a way to do this
with out setting his company up to use DHCP?
Thanks,
 Appreciate all the help that I can pass on.
Don

Time to start using a new search engine...

Look at http://www.netswitcher.com. I use it for two static addresses,
but the docs mention DHCP so I assume it'll work with the scenario you
describe.

Gary

NetSwitcher is probably your best bet, especially at $10 a pop, but another possibility which should work with Win98/2K (but not NT) is to have a second PCMCIA NIC. Configure the first for DHCP; the second for static. Then just use the appropriate NIC at the appropriate site. I definitely do NOT recommend this with NT.

Kent