Re: setting a tty to login to remote computer via ssh

--- Mike Alborn <malborn@odoitau.dyn.dhs.org> wrote:
> init uses getty (or some variant - check /etc/inittab) to spawn a
> terminal, and getty spawns /bin/login to produce the prompt and handle
> user logins. getty can be instructed to spawn a different program with
> the -l option. Perhaps if you put an entry like this in /etc/inittab:
>
> 8:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -l /usr/bin/ssh hostname 38400 tty8
>
> where hostname is the remote host. According to the manpages, getty
> will pass the name from the login: prompt on to ssh (since /bin/login
> works in much the same way ssh does - for this purpose).

I tried that but getty just dies after getting the username and respawns asking
for it again. openvt user@hostname works fine though but that is not exactly
what I want. Is there any way of seeing what is going on ? Is there any way of
getting getty & ssh to display verbose messages ?

is there a way of logging onto the remote machine via the network other than
through ssh ?

any thoughts ?

Shri