Failed Initialization of WD-7000 SCSI CARD

I am using a Compaq ProSigna 300 with an Integrated
32bit FAST SCSI-2 Controller. I am getting the
following error message "Failed Initialization of
WD-7000 SCSI CARD" when I am booting from the rescue
disk.  I also have a Compaq CRD-254-V CDROM on ID 5 of
the SCSI.  It seems to recognize the CDROM but just
hangs when trying to boot from it with the Debian CD
is in it with a flashing "_".  This is a first time
installation of Debian on the PC.  Has anyone got any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike