From: Peter Christensen [mailto:pchris@snip.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 8:45 PM
To: debian user
Subject: Mozilla is so slow! Problem with my upgrade to 2.2r3?

I did an apt-get dist-upgrade, to move from 2.1 to 2.2r3, then did an
apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.19, based on a recommendation from this
mailing list.

My problem now is that when I start Mozilla it takes 50 to 60 seconds
before the application appears on the screen, and all the time I can
hear my hard drive "thrashing."  After that any activity in Mozilla
(such as clicking on "file" or "edit") takes about a minute to execute.

If I were using Windows I would assume that the operating system got
trashed again and I would reload it for the umpteenth time.

What could be happening here?  I think I may be ready to buy a set of
2.2 disks because from a beginner's viewpoint it seems that successfully
upgrading the OS to 2.2 was probably too much to expect.  It went very
smoothly (I was very impressed with how easy it was!), but I did get
some messages about what seemed to be housekeeping tasks that needed to
be done as a result of the upgrade.  Some of them related to files that
simply don't exist on my machine, so maybe something is seriously
wrong.

Anyway, I thought I would post this question here just in case it's an
obvious, easily fixed problem.   Otherwise, I'll just re-install from a
new set of disks.  By the way, my computer is a Pentium 200 MHz, with 32
MB of RAM.  Is this too antiquated to run Mozilla, or perhaps Gnome or
Galeon eventually???

Thanks,
Peter Christensen