other data WAS: Re: /var and /usr Re: virtual hosting in apache and file locations

Ola Lundqvist wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 10:27:49AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> > i always wondered just why debian apache puts the main homepage of a
> > server into /var/www. /var isn't made for stuff that's persistens like
> > a homepage! in addition, where do virtual hosts go? in general, once
>
> Well I want to tell some people why /var is used.
>
> /usr is used for data that can be read-only. You can remount your
>   usr partition read only and the system will still work.
>
> /var is used for data that can or should not be kept read only, like
>   logs, spools, "variable data" like homepages and other things that
>   need to be changed from time to time (without root permissions to
>   remount the partition).
>
> /home is used for user data and should never be changed by packages.
>   home are often on a separate disk or mounted over nfs so that data
>   should not be changed by the system. Imagine if you are reinstalling
>   the sytem and spares the home partition/drive and later mount that.
>   You will have to move files manually.

  so I guess /var is also a good place to hold other data that belong to
sort of everybody? e.g. the mp3 collection, backgrounds (for desktops
etc.) and all that kind of data that should be accessible to everybody
(on the system)?

	erik