Re: Debugger for C programming?

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 03:38:17PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach mdevin@ozemail.com.au (on Tue, 02 Oct 2001 11:32:40PM +1000):
> > Is there a good debugger for C programming.  You know, the kind of thing
> > that lets you step through a line at a time running your program and put
> > watches on variables etc.
>
> gdb. and watch it kick micro$oft's butt. it takes some while to get
> used to it, but in the end it's so much more powerful - after all,
> micro$oft copied from it...

Yes, indeed you will have what you want in gdb. But as you are
comparing it to Windows it`s better you know somethings. The
gdb itself doesn`t show you the code when it`s stepping through it.
It shows just the line it breaks at. To see all the code you can
run the gdb from emacs (F10 t 0). It will split your window and
show the gdb running in one and the code with a pointer to the line
it is executing in the other. It`s much better than any tool I tried
in Windows.
  Just one more thing. Don`t forget to compile your code with the
option -g or the gdb won`t be able to show you the code or to set
a breakpoints on functions.

HTH,
  Rafael Sasaki