Re: pppd cant' assign a remote ip and i'm desperate

 Subject: Re: pppd cant' assign a remote ip and i'm desperate

 On Monday Oct 01 16:41 Sergio E. Schvezov wrote:

 > ** Well leaving that out the connection is kind of fine, i can ping,
 > ** connect to ICQ servers, but the problem comes up when i try to
 > ** do for example
 > ** http://www.google.com
 > ** In links i'd see something like this:
 > ** Recieved 0B of 2.3 kB, avg 0B/s

 FAQ - 1 	I can ping but get no access to my ISP, why?

 Whenever you like to connect to your ISP (using Netscape, dselect,
 gtm and something like that), the file /etc/resolv.conf is used,
 cause your web tools need to get informations about your ISP.

 A simple example for this file:

 domain		msn
 nameserver	193.101.111.20

 $ man resolv.conf

 RESOLVER(5)                                           RESOLVER(5)

 NAME
        resolver - resolver configuration file

 SYNOPSIS
        /etc/resolv.conf

 DESCRIPTION
        The  resolver  is  a set of routines in the C library that
        provide access to the Internet Domain  Name  System.   The
        resolver  configuration  file contains information that is
        read by the resolver routines  the  first  time  they  are
        invoked  by  a  process.  The file is designed to be human
        readable and contains a list of keywords with values  that
        provide various types of resolver information.

        On  a  normally  configured system this file should not be
        necessary.  The only name server to be queried will be  on
        the  local machine, the domain name is determined from the
        host name, and the domain search path is constructed  from
        the domain name.

        The different configuration options are:

        nameserver
               Internet address (in dot notation) of a name server
               that the resolver should query.  Up to MAXNS  (cur­
               rently  3) name servers may be listed, one per key­
               word.  If there are multiple servers, the  resolver
               library  queries  them  in the order listed.  If no
               nameserver entries are present, the default  is  to
               use  the  name  server  on the local machine.  (The
               algorithm used is to try a name server, and if  the
               query  times  out,  try the next, until out of name
               servers, then repeat trying all  the  name  servers
               until a maximum number of retries are made).

        domain Local  domain  name.  Most queries for names within
               this domain can use short  names  relative  to  the
               local  domain.   If no domain entry is present, the
               domain is  determined  from  the  local  host  name
               returned by gethostname(); the domain part is taken
               to be everything after the first `.'.  Finally,  if
               the  host  name does not contain a domain part, the
               root domain is assumed.

        search Search list for host-name lookup.  The search  list
               is  normally determined from the local domain name;
               by default, it contains only the local domain name.
               This  may  be changed by listing the desired domain
               search  path  following  the  search  keyword  with
               spaces or tabs separating the names.  Most resolver
               queries will be attempted using each  component  of
               the  search  path  in  turn until a match is found.
               Note that this process may be slow and will  gener­
               ate a lot of network traffic if the servers for the
               listed domains are not local, and that queries will
               time  out  if no server is available for one of the
               domains.

               The search list is currently limited to six domains
               with a total of 256 characters.

        sortlist
               Sortlist allows addresses returned by gethostbyname
               to be  sorted.   A  sortlist  is  specified  by  IP
               address  netmask pairs. The netmask is optional and
               defaults to the natural netmask of the net. The  IP
               address and optional network pairs are separated by
               slashes. Up to 10 pairs may be specified.

               e.g.      sortlist      130.155.160.0/255.255.240.0
               130.155.0.0

        options
               Options  allows certain internal resolver variables
               to be modified.  The syntax is

               options option ...

               where option is one of the following:

               debug -- sets RES_DEBUG in _res.options.

               ndots:n -- sets a threshold for the number of  dots
               which must appear in a name given to res_query (see
               resolver(3)) before an initial absolute query  will
               be  made.  The default for _n is ``1'', meaning that
               if there are any dots in a name, the name  will  be
               tried  first  as an absolute name before any search
               list elements are appended to it.

        The domain and search keywords are mutually exclusive.  If
        more  than  one instance of these keywords is present, the
        last instance wins.

        The search keyword of a system's resolv.conf file  can  be
        overridden  on a per-process basis by setting the environ­
        ment variable ``LOCALDOMAIN'' to a space-separated list of
        search domains.

        The  options keyword of a system's resolv.conf file can be
        amended on a per-process basis by setting the  environment
        variable  ``RES_OPTIONS''  to  a  space-separated  list of
        resolver options as explained above under options.

        The keyword and value must appear on a  single  line,  and
        the  keyword  (e.g.  nameserver) must start the line.  The
        value follows the keyword, separated by white space.

 FILES
        /etc/resolv.conf

 SEE ALSO
        gethostbyname(3), hostname(7), named(8),
        Name Server Operations Guide for BIND

 Debian GNU/Linux            1993-11-11                RESOLVER(5)

 --
 Nothing is impossible!

 You only need to know the way and price.

  :-)