Re: libc6 upgrade question

 Subject: Re: libc6 upgrade question

 On Monday Oct 01 11:40 Gerald Richter wrote:

 > ** Hello Timo!
 > ** Thanks for the reply, but I've allready made the described step, AND I
 > ** recompiled the kernel against the new libc6. -Maybe that might be where
 > ** your slowlyness came from? At least I hope it for my case :)

 I also compiled the kernel against the updated libc6. How i mean the
 problem, is that all Potato packages are compiled against the older
 libc6. They work all fine and without trouble with the new libc6. But
 not with best performance.

 > ** -can you give me any pointers, how I could test the fact of having
 > ** slowed down my system with my actions?

 No, sorry! I saw it after updating the whole system to Woody by using
 all the applications in X and XFree starts faster.

 > ** -how do I revert my last libc6-upgrade? just excluding the woody entry
 > ** >from sources.list, rerun aptitude and downgrade to a previous version of
 > ** libc6, or do I have to force smth.?

 I did the libc6 update by this way: downloading the libc6 package by
 hand from a debian mirror and then installed it with # dpkg -i libc6*.
 In this case i needed to do nothing and could use apt-get for Potato
 without problems. Exclude the Woody entry from sources.list and rerun
 aptitude is the right way. And if apt-get like to downgrade to Potatos
 libc6 you can edit your /var/lib/dpkg/available file and change the
 entry of old version to new version. Then apt-get thinks there is no
 old version available an will not downgrade.

 Timo

 --
 Nothing is impossible!

 You only need to know the way and price.

  :-)