Installing Gnome on Potato

Is there a reasonably short and concise description or
documentation of some form which is specific to Debian
on how to setup Gnome running on sawfish?

Simply installing packages does not seem to do it.

I have been running Wmaker and while gnome apps run Ok, I
have been thinking a "regular" Gnome desktop might be better.
Maybe I should rethink that assumption, but I am accustomed to
the "regular" Gnome desktop from other distros.

TIA

Ed Lawson