Re: Can Linux use a Microsoft Proxy Server to access the Internet?

At 21:44 26/9/2001 +0200, Martin F Krafft wrote:
http access is one thing. have fun trying to get out of the network
with something like ssh or smtp/pop3. don't worry, micro$oft made sure
that everyone has to use their crap, at least afaik. if you *do* find
a way to use the proxy server as a regular gateway to the net, please
do let me know.

I *almost* did find a way for Linux to use an MS Server as a Gateway. It's not working quite properly. This is what I did:

- Installed socks-clients package from potato CD;
- Set the FTP_PROXY, HTTP_PROXY and HTTPS_PROXY environment variables with "http://100.124.125.50:80/";; - Set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable with the path to the socks library (I forgot the path right now); - Configured /etc/socks.conf so it would use the proxy to all addresses but local intranet ones; - Changed apt sources.list to point to ftp.debian.org.br testing main contrib non-free; - Tried to run apt-get update and it didn't work (I also tried dselect using Access Mode apt and ftp).

However, I was able to run ftp and connect to ftp.debian.org.br manually. When I did that, the command CD works, but LS and GET don't. What's going on? Does this have anything to do with FTP being in passive mode, or the host I'm connected to can't find me because I'm behind a proxy? Can this be corrected?

I read on the archives that with this socks-clients package and using the script runsocks (which has the same effects as setting the LD_PRELOAD var) apt would work. Did I miss something?

TIA,
        - Vítor

Vítor Estêvão Silva Souza
vitor.souza@terra.com.br