Re: bug reporting about conflicts in sid

In article <[🔎] 20010928192346.B23885@debian.org> you write:
>On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 09:41:09AM -0700, Blars Blarson wrote:
>> After getting sid successfully installed, I ran dselect to install the
>> rest of the packages I wanted.  There are a few complaints about
>> recomended packages not being available, but the only real headake was
>> with olvwm.  Apparently, it requires xlib and recomends xpm4g, and
>> xpm4g conflicts with xlib.
>
>That's weird. xpm4g should indeed be forced out by something or other,
>because it's obsolete with the new organization of the X packages.
>However, olvwm just depends on libc6 and xlibs, and doesn't recommend
>xpm4g.
>
>Are you sure that's the problem? What *could* be the case is that you
>ran 'apt-get update', but not 'dselect update' (or [U]pdate from
>dselect's main menu). If you try to run dselect on a system that's been
>upgraded to sid without updating its view of available packages past
>potato, it will understandably get rather confused.

I was sure I had done so, but after doing it again I can't duplicate the
problem, so maybe I didn't.  Thanks.

It also appears that olvwm now includes olwm, and the olwm package is
obsolete.

In any event, my new hard drives arrived so my temporary test system
isn't available anymore.  (It's getting potato, and will replace a
redhat and a solaris 7 box.  The redhat box will get woody or sid, and
the sun may as well.)

--
Blars Blarson 					blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html