bug reporting about conflicts in sid

Having a scratch monkey (I assume that story is still being told, even
though it was old 25 years ago) temporarily available while waiting
for the disk drives for my new (to me) computer, I descided to install
sid and see what happened.  (I've been running potato for a couple of
months, and am much happier with it than I was with redhat.)

I booted from my potato cd, installed a minimal system, upgraded the
kernel to 2.2.19, and configured the network.  Then I did an "apt-get
update" and "apt-get dist-upgrade".  One of the packages it decided to
upgrade was the kernel, and since I had the module for my network card
loaded it complained and it was going to replace the modules
directory, I had it exit so I could rename the existing one first.
(Should this be more automated?) It wasn't obvious to me, but
eventually I stumbled upon re-running "apt-get dist-upgrade" to finish
the install.  There was a nasty warning about the boot floppy probably
not being bootable :-(

After getting sid successfully installed, I ran dselect to install the
rest of the packages I wanted.  There are a few complaints about
recomended packages not being available, but the only real headake was
with olvwm.  Apparently, it requires xlib and recomends xpm4g, and
xpm4g conflicts with xlib.  When olvwm is selected, it deselects a
bunch of packages as conflicting, including itself.  Should I:

1. report a bug in olvm about conflicting requirments
2. report a bug in xpm4g about conflicting with xlib
3. report a bug in dselect -- it shouldn't treat "recomends" as
   "requires" if it makes packages uninstallable.

"apt-get install olvwm" did work.

--
Blars Blarson blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html