Re: vim 6.0 packages

On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 12:36:14AM +0200, Robert Waldner wrote:

| On Sat, 29 Sep 2001 08:22:54 +1000, Craig Sanders writes:
| >i often have to install vim on a system, then run "vi" and find i'm in
| >nvi rather than vim. yuk!
|
| I'm doing base-installs every time, and, quite often, find that I'm in
|  elvis (or -tiny, whatever). Which is ..unusable to me.
|
| Is this really intended, am I expecting random weirdness, or am I
|  hunting some obscure bug? Of course, this may be the wrong place to
|  ask that question, feel free to point me in the right direction ;-)

This is intentional.  vim, for all of it's compactness, is really
kinda large.  Try running it on a 486sx with 8MB RAM -- it takes a
little while for it to appear (kinda like emacs on a big machine).
nvi and elvis-tiny are lighter weight vi clones so they are installed
by default.  I too much prefer vim, but I understand the reasoning
behind the default.  I just fix it as I install.

-D