Re: Getting Sound to work

Hello again!

Sorry that I didn't write for so long but I had the flu. So, I've
finally looked up what this chip is and I've seen... it's an ISA card
chip. So, you probably have to set the resources for this card before
you can load the sb module. Maybe, you can do this by switching the
"PNP OS installed" option of your BIOS to "No" so that the BIOS sets
the resources (but switching that may cause problems with windows) ,
but a common solution is that you have set them by the 'isapnp'
program. To prepare this, do the following:

-maybe delete the current /etc/isapnp.conf
-then: pnpdump > /etc/insapnp.conf (pnpdump is in the package
isapnptools)
-then: edit the /etc/isapnp.conf: Pnpdump has created many possible
configurations, and you must make one valid by removing the '#' signs
before the lines belonging to this one configuration. Also, you must
remove the '#' before the (ACT Y) of this device. Also see 'man
isapnp.conf' for examples.
-now, you can try 'isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf' and see if it takes the
settings without problems. If it sees some problems, maybe a reboot
helps (I don't really know because I have no such devices here at the
moment although I had some); you don't have to call isapnp a second
time after the reboot because it is automatically called at system
bootup. Just look around if there are any error messages from isapnp
or if it has succeeded. Sometimes, isapnp setups can be somewhat
tricky because pnpdump suggests wrong values or so... if that's the
case, maybe you can find more documentation in the kernel
Documentation directory or at howto.tucows.com or at www.esstech.com.

-After isapnp succeeds, try again starting the module. Maybe you also
have to set io= / irq= / dma= etc. parameters in addition to the ess
version paramter I told you when you load the module; you get this
values from the valid lines in isapnp.conf.

Just mail again if you have any problems!

Cheers,

Stephan