Re: DNS/Domain questions

At 1001695456s since epoch (09/28/01 11:44:16 -0400 UTC), Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> I just recently purchased a domain name and am wondering on a few things.

You were a little vague, but I'll do my best here...

> Which package would be best to create my own name server? A lot of places
> have it, but for an extra fee.

If you want free DNS hosting, check out

http://soa.granitecanyon.com
http://www.mydomain.com

You can use these systems as primary DNS, or as secondary (they get their
information from some other computer; presumably your personal machine).

> If I have myname.com and I register my IP as the DNS, what do I need to use
> to let the debian box resolve subdomains (server1.myname.com,
> server2.myname.com, etc etc)

Those are hosts, not subdomains.  You'll need to run a DNS server (BIND,
djbdns, or others) to resolve queries for the outside world.  You'll also
need to update your DNS primary server IP to point to your machine.  Note
that if your IP changes (DHCP over a cable modem, for example), this may not
be a great idea.

> deal with firewall issuing. Since my main FTP/MAIL/WEB debian box is behind
> a SOHO firewall, is there anyway way to allow the DNS to resolve to
> internal IP's as well? For instance, a completely different box with a
> different internal IP running a completely different FTP/MAIL/WEB server?

If your DNS server is OUTSIDE the firewall, all will work without problems;
your internal machines will query it without problems.

If your DNS server is INSIDE the firewall, you'll have to forward ports
accross (port 53, TCP and UDP) to get to the DNS server in order for DNS
queries to resolve correctly from the outside.

Finally, I highly recommend O'Reilly's "DNS and Bind" book (the one with a
dragonfly on the cover) if you're going to get heavily into DNS.

Hope that helps some.

Jason

--
Jason Healy    |     jhealy@logn.net