Mozilla postinst script error in regxpcom

I've been using the cvs builds of mozilla in unstable for some time now,
and never had any problems. Suddenly, tonight, the latest build failed
to install during the configuration step, complaining that the mozilla
regxpcom tool had segfaulted during the Debian postinst script.

Worse, I can't even back down to the previous version of mozilla-cvs,
which installed fine when it came out a week ago but now mysteriously
also fails in regxpcom in exactly the same way. So, for the moment, I
have no mozilla, which means no graphical web browser. I am quite
annoyed.

I have tried completely uninstalling (dpkg -P) all mozilla packages
(mozilla*, libnspr*, libnss*), manually removing /usr/lib/mozilla* by
force (thus losing my Java and Flash plugins), and then reinstalling.
No good. Same problem.

A quick web search ("mozilla regxpcom") failed to yield more than the
unhelpful observation that "regxpcom is a piece of s---" (credit for
which apparently goes to Red Hat's mozilla package maintainer).

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem, or have any insight into
why it suddenly popped up, and retroactively at that?

Craig