Re: dselect and delete archived .debs - no

  man apt.conf
In short: Put the line 'DSelect::Clean "never";' in /etc/apt/apt.conf.

Just FYI, on my woody system, I put it into /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/70debconf and that did the trick.

That file was created by the debconf package, but adding the line you suggest works. As usual, I was unable to find anything about apt.conf.d in the apt.conf man page, but it's obvious that it was turned into a directory for ease of maintenance via the whole apt method (just like all the other .d directories).