Re: HELP: UDMA/100 woes and trouble.

On Thursday 27 September 2001 05:22 pm, Mike Dresser wrote:
> > Yeah, that's pretty much where I stand today...  I've got an old ATA33
> > disk. It's a Quantum Fireball 30GB disk.  What sort of throughput should
> > I be getting?

<snip stuff>

> Ouch.  Get that DMA turned on.  I've gotten 30+ meg per second on Fireball
> AS's, and slightly lower on LM's.  Is your cpu an old pentium 233 or
> something?  The buffer-cache reads seems rather low, indicating the memory
> is slow, which could mean an old slow machine, to me.

Yeah, it is a slow old K6 III 400 with some (320MB) PC100 in CAS3 (CAS2 was
giving me trouble).  It's an old board, too.  I don't have anything that'll
let me do ATA66, I think I'd need a new motherboard or to buy an IDE
controller.

> Once you get that DMA turned on, ( -d1 ) i bet your speeds will go way up.
> If that's a 30gb Fireball LM or AS, it's not ATA33, even the LM's were
> ATA66, the AS ATA100.

I'll have to give that a shot... I guess I'll just have it do that on startup
if it works?