Re: In mail, 'From' becomes '>From'

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 01:44:33PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> Some lines beginning with 'From' are rewritten as '>From'.  Needless to
> say, this utterly borks things like GPG signatures.
>
> I have no idea where this is happening (I run exim, fetchmail and mutt),
> or even if it's characteristic of my system, my ISP
> (Earthlink/Mindspring), or other mail intermediaries.

It has to happen.  "From" at the beginning of a line has special meaning
mbox mailbox format.  Mail servers will insert the '>' because they
need to do something to escape that word.  I suppose it would be more
aesthetically pleasing to replace it with a ' ', but that would still
break things like PGP.

So, the fix is to change the mbox spec and fix all the mail software in
the world to use your new format.

There are, of course, numerous possible workarounds.  Basically they all
come down to one thing: don't use "From" at the beginning of a line.  Or
switch to something other than mbox, which may obviate the need to
escape "From".  Then again, that doesn't necessarily mean that the
software won't still escape it.

noah