Re: Another mutt question?

* Josh McKinney (forming@home.com) [010927 09:03]:
> I have a small mutt question.  I have my mailing lists I am subscribe to all
> listed as subscribed in my muttrc and everything.  It all seems to work fine
> with the follow-up-to etc.  The problem is that when I open the say
> 'debian-user' mailbox all the from lines say debian-user.  I want it to be back
> to the old way of actually seeing the names of the original senders if possible.

the default index_format string is

"%4C %Z %{%b %d} %-15.15L (%4l) %s"

the %-15.15L part means "list-from". Just change the L to a F and you'll
be golden. What you'll probably need to do (unless you have already a
customized index_format line in your .muttrc) is to add this line to
your .muttrc:

set index_format="%4C %Z %{%b %d} %-15.15F (%4l) %s"

%F means "author name, or recipient name if messages is from you"

So for any messages other people post, you'll see their names. For
messages you post, you'll see something like "To
debian-user@lists.debian.org". Mutt knows if an address is yours by
checking the $alternates variable. RTFM on those subjects for more info.

Also, to everyone out there who keeps asking mutt questions here, you
should know that there is a mutt-users mailing list at
mutt-users@mutt.org. (That's in TFM as well). You can subscribe with a
message to mutt-users-request@mutt.org . See you there.

good times,

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.