/etc/shutdown.allow is not recognized by shutdown -a ?

Hello, ...

I want some logged in users to be able to shutdown the box, and the manpage of
shutdown suggest adding the user names to /etc/shutdown.allow and using the -a
option to shutdown.

But this does not work, i only get the :

shutdown: you must be root to do that!

message as response.

Is this supposed to work ? Am i missing something ? Did anyone manage to make
it work ?

As context, this is the first step in having gnome ask to logout or halt when
login out from the foot menu, which together with automatic login in gdm is a
very nice feature for a single user desktop system for newbies.

Please CC me as i am not subscribed to the debian-user list,

Thanks for any help,

Friendly,

Sven, Luther