Re: ext3 on install

Adam McDaniel <adamm@psynch.com> wrote:
> I'm curious if anyone here has any knowledge of Debian, in any
> future release, will prompt the user to install an ext3 filesystem
> during the initial install.

It's already possible.

Install normally on an ext2-partition, compile yourself a kernel with
ext3 (you need patching), initialize the journal
("tune2fs -j /dev/hda", for instance) and replace "ext2" in fstab with
"ext3".

e2fsprogs in (in Woody at least) are fully ext3-compliant.

And by the way, if you use filesystem-type "auto" in /etc/fstab you
can even switch between ext3-aware kernel and ont that only has ext2!

Suonpää...