Re: Simple backups

hi ya daniel

my preference is tar...

------ extremely simple backup.sh for 10.1.1.1 ---
#
mount other_machine:/home/daniel.backup /mnt/backup
tar zcvf /mnt/backup/daniel.datecode.tgz /etc/ home/daniel
umount /mnt/backup
mail -s "backup done for /home/daniel" daniel < /dev/null
#
-----

othermachine#  cat /etc/exports
	/home/daniel.backup	10.1.1.1(rw,no_root_squash)
	... pick options you are comfy with...

you SHOULD use a different disk for backup and keep it umounted
even if the disk is on the same machine ...
	- problem w/ it is if the power supply burps..
	- the memory or cpu goes nuts and starts to do random writings

best to use a backup disk on a different server

when the backup files get to big...you'd have to do incremental backups

c ya
alvin
http://www.Linux-Backup.net - collection of free backup scripts
	- cpio, rsync/ssh, dump, etc...etc..