Re: Handling with BASH variables

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 08:24:12PM +0200, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I have a problem with bash vars. For my KDE copileing stuff i have made some
| files wich contain the "configure" command so that i can easily alter it and
| that i can remember wich options i used. E.g. there is a file "conf_kdelibs"
| the file contais that line:
| ./confugure --prefix=/opt/kde --enable-final .......
| Now i want to set for the prefix /opt/kde the $KDEDIR variable.
| This "conf_kdelibs" file is called by my compile script with the command "
| 'cat conf_kdelibs' ". Now bash is not taking the $KDEDIR varibale contents it
| takes the string "$KDEDIR". How can i bring BASH to take KDEDIR as a variable?

First : any time you are writing code and it doesn't work, you need to
post the code that doesn't work _exactly_ for anyone to do more than
take wild gueses as to the problem.  Here is a correct way to write
your script :

--------------- cut here -------------------
#!/bin/bash

export KDEDIR=/whatever/the/path/is

./confugure --prefix=/opt/kde --enable-final .......
--------------- cut here -------------------

To run it, first make it executable (chmod u+x) then go the the base
directory of the source.  For example : (not real cut-n-paste output)

$ pwd
~/build
$ ls
conf_kdelibs    kdelibs-src
$ cd kdelibs-src
$ ../conf_kdelibs
$

If you unpack the source into a versioned directory, the script won't
care.  It looks for configure in the current working directory so you
must be in the app's directory not the directory with the script.

HTH,
-D