Re: Setting up a bunch of boxen at a small school.

Hi Everyone,

  This setup seems very similar to something I saw done in the student
computer centers at UC Berkeley recently.  The situation there is that
they had a whole bunch of pretty nice machines running Windows and
MacOS.  They wanted to make Linux available too, but didn't want to
dedicate machines to Linux, as Windows is still more popular.  The
solution developed by my friend Shane (message from him pasted below)
was to make a boot floppy that people that wanted to run Linux could
use.  This way, he didn't have to fiddle with the (rather complex) setup
already running and working on the machines.

  There are a whole number of nice features of this solution.
*One machine to administer that spits out all apps, change it once and
every machine realizes the change.
*Centralized passwords.  You can use the same passwords on Linux,
Windows, and Mac clients.
*Centralized home directories.  The same directory is available on all
platforms, you can use whichever you think suits the current task best.
*Students can't really mess with the system much, since none of it is
local.  Even if they hack root or something, everything of interest is
exported read only from the server.
*The security danger of students bringing in their own boot disks (Tom's
Root Boot, lnx-bbc.org) is closed, because there's no local system to
hack.
And others that I am not remembering.

One last comment -- Re: high school students not learning the system --
it is my opinion (as one out of high school only a few years) that the
kids in high school are *more* willing to learn this stuff than any
other sample population that would be using a computer center.  They
have the most time to play around.  They do not have nearly so much of a
"this is all I want to do just let me do it dammit" attitude, like I saw
in the college CCs and I imagine is probably present in most businesses.
They are also in a period of intense exploration of life interests, and
so on.  So Goferit!  If you're really worried, impliment a solution like
Shane's where both alternatives are available.

-ben

On to his description of what you need:

----- Forwarded message from Shane Liebling <shane@cryptio.net> -----