Re: ext3 on install

Adam McDaniel wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 11:39:35AM -0500, DvB wrote:
> > Of course, once ext3 is in the standard kernel, one need only create the
> > journal file (plus one or two other tweaks like disabling ext2 fsck),
> > reboot (assuming even that's necessary) and, voila!, one's ext2
> > filesystem automagically becomes ext3...
>
> is that even going to be possible?, I thought upgrading to ext3 required
> a fresh partition. That would be cool though. Which reminds me, what exactly
> are the real benifits to using ext3?

ext3 is simply ext2 plus journaling. No more, no less. Right now, if you
want to use ext3, you simply build an ext3-enabled kernel, run tune2fs -j
to set up journaling on a filesystem, and remount as ext3.

DvB is correct that you can pretty trivially set up ext3 after installing,
but still, it would be nice not to have to do that extra step. I'd rather
be able set up a new Debian system with ext3 from the start.

Craig