Re: Setting up a bunch of boxen at a small school.

on Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 06:32:09PM -0400, Sunny Dubey (dubeys@bxscience.edu) wrote:
> On Monday 24 September 2001 04:11 am, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 02:50:32AM +0200, oivvio polite (ol1@v10a.com)
> wrote:
> > > I might soon have to set up some 20 - 30 boxes supporting some 200
> > > students.  They'll want to do word processing, browse the web, read
> > > mail.
> >
> > Lots of apps for the above.
> >

> <snip snip>
>
> I'm guessing you haven't stepped inside a high school recently ...
> while the apps you recomend are great and whatnot, do you really
> believe that students will take the time to learn any of those apps??

Yes.

> if most linux users don't want to learn TeX, or emacs, how are you
> going to get students to learn??  (especially when this is only for
> school, and not the real world outside, where sadly email apps like
> outlook are just about standard.)

You've looked at Evolution?

GNU/Linux is about choice.  If you really want to emulo legacy MS
Windows on GNU/Linux boxen, I can point you to references of a fellow
who's set up 25 instances of Win9x on a GNU/Linux server via Win4Lin,
that he's exporting to a bunch of X Terminals.

> > > Of course any user should be able to log into his/her account from
> > > any box.  What are my options here?
> >
> > NIS will do this for you.  You'll also want NFS to remotely mount
> > user directories.  This largely reserves the individual workstations
> > as satellites.  You'll configure them largely identically.
>
> NIS isn't the more secure system in the world.  (I think using rsync
> over ssh would be even more secure than NIS).

I can't claim expertise here.  I've seen an NIS system setup on a small
lab.  In a reasonably protected environment, it should work well.  SMB
is hardly more secure.  I believe security can be plugged in, though I'm
not aware of specifics.

Logins over ssh require a login on each terminal.  This requires state
on the terminals, which you claimed you wanted to avoid.

> He could try ldap, which is supported by most operating systems, and
> linux has the PAM modules for ldap too.

Seems to me you're looking for fights, not answers.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org