Re: X default font: 'fixed'

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 22:57:11 -0700, Bob Frankstein <queshaw@pacbell.net> wrote:

> I have installed woody. After this I did:
>
> apt-get install x-window-system
> apt-get install xlibs-dev
>
> Then when I try to run X it says it can't find default font: 'fixed'
>
> I had fixed this before without altering any fonts.dir or fonts.alias
> files.
> What do I need to do? My XF86Config-4 file has lines mentioning the font
> server and some initial paths.

Your config file should have a line like:

   FontPath  "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"

If it has that line (or equivalent, since there's at least one other
path that points to the same location), make sure you have the fonts.
You should, since "x-window-system" should pull in alot of other
packages (like "x-fonts-base").

If you find all of those are true, then perhaps the fonts.* files weren't
generated properly. Try --> "$ dpkg-reconfigure x-fonts-base"

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>