Re: TSR

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 shyamk@eth.net wrote:

> 1. Does this mean , that once I switch my machine that is running a
> TSR , the TSR is gone ? I guess that for all programs , a shutdown or
> poweroff , stops the process.

Correct.

> 2. One of my friends said that if a TSR hits the machine , you might
> have to re-format the disk ! I dis-agree with him , because after all

No, that is quite wrong.  All you need to do is reboot, or some TSRs allow
themselves to be unloaded.

> 3. Till date I believe that Unix/Linux - based machines do not support
> TSRs , am I right ? I reason that since the header file from which
> TSRs take all their functions , id the dos.h you can't have TSRs on
> Unixes.

A TSR is a very old DOS-based term.  A TSR is just a program that sits in
memory, uses DOS's (advisory) memory allocation system to keep other
programs from overwriting it and then registers itself as the handler for
some type of event (usually, a timer, disk, video or keyboard interrupt).

This was all necessary because DOS was single-tasking.  On a real OS none
of this is necessary.  Instead we have the shell's job-control functions
to switch among processes.  It's Much Much Better this way.