TSR

I suppose TSR = Terminate (but) Stay Resident
I have a few doubts on this front :

1. Does this mean , that once I switch my machine that is running a  TSR , the TSR is
gone ?
I guess that for all programs , a shutdown or poweroff , stops the process.

2. One of my friends said that if a TSR hits the machine , you might have to
re-format the disk ! I dis-agree with him , because after all the TSR is a process ,
and as I already suggested a shutdown or poweroff will abruptly terminate it .
  Maybe because it writes itself into the Interrupt Vector Table , but a poweroff
prevents that too , doesn't it ?

3. Till date I believe that Unix/Linux - based machines do not support TSRs  , am I
right ? I reason that since the header file from which TSRs take all their functions
, id the dos.h you can't have TSRs on Unixes.

Pls offer your views on this + clear my conceptions / mis-conceptions .

Thanks,
(shyamk@eth.net)
Shyam