No Gnome panel

When I installed debian, the gnome panel was not available, so I download it and installed it later. But it does not show in the desktop until I type "panel" on the run command window. The problem is I get a terminal window with:

/dev/dsp: Permission denied.

And when i run the file manager (some icons are placed on the screen):

**WARNING**: Root window clicks will not work as no GNOME-compliant window manager could be found.

Then, for every program I use out of the Panel's menu I get another "/dev/dsp: Permission denied" line, as well as no ability to save anything on any program I launch from there. Also, if I close this windows it all dissapears.

If I run this command as root I get:

/dev/dsp: No such device

Although it shows the panel and the icons.

What can i do to make the gnome panel appear when X starts, and to stay there without having to keep any window open ...

Thanks in advance ...

      Ing. Rodin Fadul
   I N T E R A C T I V E
Centro Educación de Informática