Apache and mod_auth_mysql -- what happended?

Hi all,

I'm wanting to authenticate users to a web site a MySQL database.  To
do this, you load the mod_auth_mysql module, and pass it the
appropriate parameters -- only mod_auth_mysql seems to have
disappeared.

I have found a copy of mod_auth_mysql.so on an older debian machine,
which I am using without problems, but it seems to have been removed
from the apache-common package, which is where it used to be,
according to a page I found with Google.  Am I looking in the wrong
place, or has something happended to it?

Thanks,
Gordon