Re: matrox g450: matrox.com drivers or X 4.1.0 drivers?

On Monday 24 September 2001 10:49 am, Krzys Majewski wrote:
<snip>

> OK, thanks.
> Mine tries to load the  mga_hal module and fails, presumably because I
> haven't  installed  it. I  take  it  you've  downloaded the  one  from
> matrox.com? What does it do?

The README for the HAL download at Matrox's site in the support section under
Drivers explains the purpose of the HAL.  It enables stuff like dual head
support on some Matrox cards that support it, but I don't remember which
since mine isn't dual head.  It also lets you use the Matrox PowerDesk
application, which is a pretty sad excuse for an app and doesn't let you do
anything really useful you can't do with xvidtune.

> Also, FWIW, if  you don't install the matrox drivers,  the 450 is only
> supported starting with X 4.1.0.

But at least it is supported. ;)