nfs mounting problems

I posted this on comp.linux.os.networking and didn't get any

I want to backup my laptop (thinkpad-wireless) to the tape drive in my
server (bear).

On my laptop, in /etc/exports:

[root@thinkpad /root]# cat /etc/exports
/		bear(ro,no_root_squash)
/home		bear(ro,no_root_squash)
/home/E		bear(ro,no_root_squash)
/var		bear(ro,no_root_squash)

/home is the problem. It is the mount point for /dev/hda8:

[root@thinkpad /root]# mount
/dev/hda3 on / type ext2 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hda8 on /home type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda7 on /usr type ext2 (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hda9 on /usr/local type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda11 on /var type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda10 on /home/E type vfat (rw)
[root@thinkpad /root]#

nfs is running and I've exportfs'd.

Moving on to the server:

bear:/home/rskoss# mount -t nfs thinkpad-wireless:/home /mnt/thinkpad/home
mount: thinkpad-wireless:/home failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
bear:/home/rskoss#

Other exported file systems mount (eventually):

bear:/home/rskoss# mount -t nfs thinkpad-wireless:/ /mnt/thinkpad/slash
bear:/home/rskoss# ls /mnt/thinkpad/slash
bin   dev  home  lost+found  opt   root  tmp	usr  win
boot  etc  lib	 mnt	     proc  sbin  ttys0	var

So, there are two problems.

1. Why can't I mount thinkpad-wireless:/home on bear, and
2. Why does it take so long to mount?

FWIW, these two computers are on the same desk connected through a
hub. Bear is running Debian Woody with kernel 2.4.7. Thinkpad is
running RedHat 6.2 kernel 2.2.14-5.0.

--

Robert Koss, Ph.D.     | Training, Mentoring, Contract Development
Senior Consultant      | Object Oriented Design, C++, Java