Re: m86k Xwindow

Thus spake mmissett:
> Stephen,
> Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, trying that fix did not appear to make any difference.  Specifically, the "startx" command produces 'command not found", as it always has.  One further clue, though:  Since anXious says it cannot open /proc/bus/pci/devices, I thought I would open it myself and discovered there is no such file.  Does that suggest anything?  Like, if there's supposed to be such a thing, I will make it if I had some idea what was supposed to be in it.
> Any ideas would be most appreciated.  Thanks,
> Mike

> From: Stephen Gran <gashuffer09@home.com>
> Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 12:02:02 -0400
>
> >Thus spake mmissett:
> >> I am new to this and have been trying to get some sort of GUI installed and running.  I think I have succeeded in getting at least some bits installed, but I have yet to get anything to work, and would appreciate a bit of guidance.  First off, the computer in question is a 68k Mac (and that may be the problem right there, for all I know), specifically, a 68040.  Anyway, I have configured with anXious (although, to be honest, I guessed at most of the settings), but the second screen of that gives me:
> >>
> >> "Your video card was successfully identified.  The  Cannot open /proc/bus/pci/devices.  You probably have an old kernel.  Support for the old Linux PCI interface should be coming soon.
> >>    Server will be installed.  Next you'll be presented with some options for your initial X Window system setup.
> >> Detected Video Card"
> >>
> >> This is exactly the message, including where words appear to be missing.  I assume, by the way, since this is a new installation, that I do NOT have an old kernel.  Anyway, I installed blackbox, but when I try the command 'blackbox', I get the message:
> >>
> >> "Base Display::Base Display: connection to X server failed."
> >>
> >> Does all this mean I have a video card that is simply not supported and what I want to  do (a GUI) can't be done, or an I doing something(s) wrong and, if so, what?
> >> Any help would be most appreciated.
> >
> >It's important to get a few things understood, I think - The GUI (X
> >windows) system in Linux is a little complicated.  First one program
> >executes, giving you a graphical interface and so forth, then another
> >program runs on top of that to manage the appearance of the graphical
> >interface and to manage any open windows and so forth.  Blackbox is a
> >window manager, and is only the second part of the two.  Try editing the
> >file ~/.xsession to have only the line:
> >/usr/bin/blackbox
> >and then back at the prompt,
> >startx
> >This will run a whole series of scripts to start X, which will finally
> >the call blackbox from your .xsession file.
> >Good luck,
> >Steve

Let's see - I'm not sure how you're trying to open /proc/bus/pci/devices
- if you're trying to view it with emacs or some other test editor, it
  will appear blank. The /proc directory is full of 'false' files - they
  can give you system information but aren't actually stored on disk,
  AFAIK.  try cat /proc/bus/pci/devices - that hould give you a long
  string of information.
  The other problem - startx is part of the package xbase-clients.  Try:
  apt-get install xbase-clients
  Then run startx.
  If your system works normally - e.g., you have a readable display on
  your monitor, you can use your modem/sound card, etc.  I would assume
  that your problem isn't hardware related for now.  Try installing the
  above program and running the normal configuration program
  (xf86config, I think, for X 3.x and XFree86 --config for X 4.x), as
  this will generate a more easily modifiable /etx/X11/XFree86Config
  file to tweak.
  Good luck,
  Steve

--