Re: Strange network performance

On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 06:36:05PM +0100, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> I've just set up a 100TX network with 2 computer both running debian.
> Netgear FA311 cards and a single cross-over cable.

What version of the kernel are you running?  If it's 2.4, are you
running the natsemi driver included with the kernel, or did you download
it from scyld.com?  If you're running the version that came with the
kernel, try replacing it with the one from
http://www.scyld.com/network/netsemi.html.  The one in the kernel is
based on that driver, but has been modified.  You may have more success
with the original.

Also, use dmesg and see if anything is being logged by the kernel
relating to these issues.  I've seen some IRQ problems with the
natsemi-based cards.

noah