Strange network performance

Hay Guys,

I've just set up a 100TX network with 2 computer both running debian.
Netgear FA311 cards and a single cross-over cable.

Generally it runs well, but occasionally I get weird freezed - using
dselect via an ssh session suffers from freezing of the session for
a minute or two every now and again; getting mutt to read off the
imap daemon on the other computer also shows very slow reading of the
mail.

Does anyone have any idea what I need to start tweaking or what might
be causing this?

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman
Nottingham,

Using Debian/GNU Linux
Enjoying computing

It said 'Required Windows XP or better.'
So I installed Linux.