Re: horrible harddrive performance

On Sunday Sep 23 04:00 Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> **
> **     Hey people.
> **
> **     My wife has become a Linux convert (woohoo!), but unfortunately I'm having
> ** a problem getting decent performance out of her computer. She has a P-III 800,
> ** which is faster than my 450, but the harddrive performance is a bottleneck on
> ** her whole system. It's horribly slow.
> **
> **     The following is from the boot messages:
> **
> ** ALI15X3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 78

Which kernel is running on this system? Sorry if my idea has nothing to do
with your trouble. But i had a similar problem with my new Abit mainboard.
And i used a board with ALI15x bevore too. How i know the ALI15x chipset
is supported since kernel 2.4.0. The same with my current via chip of Abit
board. The IDE bus of my Abit board is very very slow if i use a 2.2.x
kernel. And it's possible that your ALI15x also have this problem if you
use an 2.2.x kernel. If you use this old kernel, try kernel 2.4.x.

Timo

--
Nothing is impossible!

You only need to know the way.