Re: SSL packages +

on Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 11:58:44PM +0200, Tarjei Huse (tarjei@nu.no) wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I've been using debian for about 1 month now, but with 2 yrs rh
> experience, so I'm not completely new.
>
> What is frustrating me though is the us / non us divide on crypto and
> that many core packages (esp. the ldap ones) does not have a -ssl
> version.

These divisions are mandated by legal reasons.  There are existing
restrictions (and concerns) on export of crypto software from the US.
There are also packages which are subject to patent infringement claims
in the US.  The us / non-US divide will persist so long as these legal
issues do.

> What I am wondering about is: a) Does anyone maintain ssl versions of
> nss-, pam- ldap and openldap 2.0.1x?

    $ man apt-cache

I don't know the specific answer, I'd suggest Google.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org