Re: dpkg -l does not report all packages?

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 03:53:35PM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 12:23:19AM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
> > >   dpkg and grep-available only report kernel-source packages up to 2.4.5
> > > (which is what I have installed), even though I just did apt-get update:
> >
> > 'apt-get update' doesn't update dpkg's available file. Use 'dselect
> > update' instead, which does 'apt-get update' and then merges it with
> > dpkg's records.
> >
> > Also, 'dpkg -l' looks in dpkg's status file, which doesn't necessarily
> > record all uninstalled packages unless you use dselect on a regular
> > basis. It'll record installed packages reliably, though.
>
>   thanks for explanation,
>
>   is there any way to have correct info about system (installed and
> available packages and their status) without using deselect?

After reading the above I ran 'dselect update' and found that it works
just like 'apt-get update' and doesn't go into the normal dselect
program.

--
I am a firm believer in the ideas of Malthus when it comes to
bureaucrats. For their expansion in numbers and projects is fixed